Friday, December 9, 2011

Journal #20- An original journal about autumn by Gabrielle Elizabeth Hermes

In this poem, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow speaks a lot about autumn. When I think of autumn, I think of all of the leaves on trees that are changing colors and of all of the sounds of autumn, such as crunching leaves and the wind blowing through the trees. In this poem, it seems to me that the speaker is preparing for autumn. In the very beginning of this poem, Longfellow tells us that autumn is finally coming after all of the rain. With the way he says this, I see it as a good thing that autumn is finally coming because they are tired of all of the rain. Longfellow also speaks of the events that happen in autumn, for example when he says
Blessing the farms through all thy vast domain! Thy shield is the red harvest moon, suspended so long beneath the heaven's o' erhanging eaves (Longfellow 8-10).

In this passage, he is saying that autumn is the season in which farmers harvest their crops and are blessed by the red harvest moon. Like I said earlier, when I think of autumn one of the first things the comes to my mind is the leaves and the wind, and Longfellow mentions this in line 14 when he says "Thine almoner, the wind, scatters the golden leaves!" (Longfellow 14). I think this poem relates to the Romanticism period we are studying because this poem is very descriptive. At some points in this poem, the author was so descriptive that I had a very vivid image of what the author was speaking about in my head. Longfellow also used a lot of metaphors in this poem, for example when he says "Thou standest, like imperial Charlemagne" (Longfellow 5). In this metaphor, he is comparing two things using like or as so he is therefore using a metaphor. I think this is a cool poem about autumn.


Bibliography

Longfellow. "Sonnets. Autumn. The Belfry of Bruges and Other Poems. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. 1893. Complete Poetical Works." Bartleby.com: Great Books Online -- Quotes, Poems, Novels, Classics and Hundreds More. Web. 08 Dec. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment