Monday, April 2, 2012

Journal #29

Transcendental self is not what you do, it is who you are.  It is really hard to figure out the difference in these two things because it is not something I have ever thought about  before.  This whole thing is really awkward and weird.  A persons transcendental self is not their job or the sports they play, it is what is under the surface and it is who you are.  I honestly do not know how to figure out what my transcendental self is because its really weird to think about.

I think that my transcendental self is similar to the person everyone else sees, but maybe slightly different in some ways.  For example, when I am around people I never really volunteer to do stuff or attempt new things and I think that is because I do not want to embarrass myself or do something stupid.  I think that part of me is the same on the inside and can be seen from the outside because it is just something that I have always done.  I think the way I act changes a little depending on the people I am around because there are certain people I am comfortable around and others that I am not, and I think that this would be the same for most other people because no one is comfortable around everyone.  I think that these are two things that are probably a little bit obvious to people, and I think a lot of other people may even feel the same about themselves.  On the other hand, there are probably so parts of me that people can not see as easily from the outside, but that is the way I want it to be.

This concept is still really hard to think about and hard to understand, let alone write a blog about, but I think I now have at least a little bit of a better understanding of what a transcendental self is.  I now understand why it took Whitman so long to write Leaves of Grass and why he revised it so many times because defining your transcendental self is no easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment