Friday, August 19, 2011

Catcher in the Rye- Why we still read this book

I think that high schools all around the world still force us to read this book because of its message about transitioning from being a child to becoming an adult. I think that having us read this book while we are in high school only adds to the meaning of this books message. Right now, we are at the age where we are in between a child and an adult, just like Holden is during most of this book. We are beginning to mature and grow both physically and emotionally and we are becoming young adults. Everyone has to grow up and transform from a child to an adult at some point in their life, but in Holden's case he really does not want to. I think we still read this because in this novel Holden is afraid to grow up because he thinks that all the adults are phony and he does not want to lose his childhood innocence. I think that the author of this novel does a really good job with describing how scary it can be to stop being a child and become an adult. I know that when I think about growing up I become overwhelmed and nervous, but I am also excited to be out on my own and live life. I think that the message portrayed in this book is a very important message because it is something that everyone has to go through. I think that is another reason why this book is still read throughout the world, because no matter where you are from you still have have to grow up. I think that this is a really good message that we learn about as readers, especially as we are at the age that we are becoming more of adults every day. I am glad we still read this book in high school today because it has a really great message and it is very interesting.



Bibliography

Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 2001. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment