Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mary Rowlandson- Reflection Blog

I think that both of these readings reflect many Puritan qualities, but I think that in Mary Rowlandson's writing called A Narrative of Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson she reveals more Puritan qualities than Anne Bradstreet does in Upon the Burning of Our House. In Mary Rowlandson's story, she recalls about how she was taken along with her three children and held captive by a tribe called the Wampanoag. At one point in this story, I think that Mary Rowlandson reveals a Puritan quality by saying
And my poor girl, I knew not where she was, nor whether she was sick or well, alive or dead. I repaired under these thoughts to my Bible (my great comforter in that time) and that scripture came to my hand. (Rowlandson 85).
I think that this passage from Mary Rowlandson's writing reveals Puritan qualities because the Puritans were very religious. They believe the Bible is words from God, and they encourage education just so that people can read it. Another way Puritan qualities are revealed through Mary Rowlandson's writing is by all the references she makes to either the Bible or God. For example, she says "... O the wonderful power of God that I have seen, and the experiences I have had!" and also she says "Though some are ready to say I speak it for my own credit; but I speak it in the presence of God, and to His glory" (Rowlandson 85). There are many instances in this story where Mary Rowlandson makes some sort of a reference to her religion, which I think is a Puritan quality. Religion is a huge part of a Puritan's life, and by reading this story I think it is safe to say that it also was a huge part of Mary Rowlandson's life. On the other had, in Anne Bradstreet's writing there are also many Puritan qualities. In this poem, Anne tells about the emotions that flooded through her as she seen her house burning down. She makes reference to religion in her poem many times, for example
And to my God did my heart cry, to strengthen me in my distress, and not to leave me succorless (Bradstreet 91).
In this quote, she is asking God to give her strength and not to leave her helpless, and in doing so she reveals a Puritan quality. She also says
And when I could no longer look, I blest His name that gave and took, that laid my goods down in the dust (Bradstreet 91).
I think that Anne Bradstreets writing does not reveal as many Puritan qualities as Mary Rowlandson's does, but it still reflects many Puritan qualities. Also, Puritans used writing to explore their lives to see the workings of God, and I think that both Mary Rowlandson and Anne Bradstreet did this with their writings. Personally, I liked Mary Rowlandson's story better because it was easier to read and also easier to understand. Anne Bradstreet's poem was written in a different style than what I am used to reading so I thought it was a little bit more confusing.


Bibliography

Bradstreet, Anne. "Upon the Burning of Our House." Comp. Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, Ph.D. and Douglas Fisher, Ph.D. Glencoe Literature. American Literature ed. Columbus: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2009. 89-91. Print.

Rowlandson, Mary. "A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Ms. Mary Rowlandson." Comp. Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, Ph.D. and Douglas Fisher, Ph.D. Glencoe Literature. American Literature ed. Columbus: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2009. 80-86. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment