Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Old Man and the Sea- Did I like this book

When I first started reading this book, I did not really know what to think. I was reading about an old man who was unsuccessful in his career, and I was wondering why we were being forced to read it. In my opinion, the book started off very slow, but it picked up as soon as the old man went out to sea. When the old man was out on his voyage, I quickly realized how much suffering this poor old man chose to endure just for a single catch. This book is definitely different from any book I have ever had to read for class before. It is different from all the other books for many reasons, but one that really stuck out was how simple the plot of this book is. In short, this book is about an old man who catches a fish. To most people catching a fish is not a big deal, but in this book it was a huge accomplishment for this old man. I enjoyed how the author can make such a small accomplishment in reality change into such a huge feat. I really liked how short this book was and how easy it was for me to read. The author told such a simple story, but when you look at it and analyze it, you realize that there is much more to this story than what you originally thought. As much as I enjoyed this book, there were a few things I did not like about this book. I did not like that throughout most of the book the only character we read about was the old man. I like to read about multiple characters and form my opinion of each character based on how they act around the other characters. In this book I only got to see how the old man acts around the young boy and around the marlin. Overall, I think I would give this book four out of five stars.


Bibliography

Hemmingway, Ernest. Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner. 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment