Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Old Man and the Sea- Tone

I think the tone in the Old Man and the Sea is a very simple, relaxed tone. I think the tone reflects the personality of the old man, who is also very simple and relaxed. I get the feeling that the tone is relaxed because of the way the old man does not become frustrated after not having a single catch for eighty four days. I know I would be extremely frustrated if I went that long without a catch. Also, the old man lives a very simple lifestyle with little material possessions, which I think adds to the simpleness of this book. Even while he is in extreme pain, the old man remains calm as he tries to defeat this massive fish. I think that this calm tone is why some people may love this book, and is why others hate it. I like the relaxed tone of this book because I think it would not be good in any other tone. Even the major events in this book are very simple and nothing extremely exciting, so if the tone was serious I think this book would be really odd. I also think that while the old man is out at sea the tone changes from calm to sad a little bit. I think the tone changes a little bit because the author shows the old man wishing so badly for the young boy and it just made me feel sad for the old man because he had to be out there all by himself. I think that the tone of a book can either interest you in a book, or make you think a book is a bore. For me I think the tone of this book is very appropriate to the actions and events that take place during this book. I think Ernest Hemmingway did a very good job in choosing a tone for this book, and I think the tone he chose for this book is a reflection of the old man.


Bibliography


Hemmingway, Ernest. Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner. 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment