Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grapes of Wrath- Did I like this book

I really liked the book Grapes of Wrath. I liked this book for many reasons, but my main reason is because of the amount of history included in this novel. History has always been my favorite subject in school, and sometimes I like to read so this book was a combination of two things I like. In this book the author included historical reference to the Dust Bowl, which I thought was very interesting. The Dust Bowl is a huge drought that consisted of dust storms that destroyed farms and houses easily. I have learned about the Dust Bowl before, but by reading this book I got a better understanding of what it did to many people throughout the United States. In this book, the Joad family is forced out of their home and they decide to travel to California in search of a better life. Many families back during this time were forced out of their homes because the drought had killed their crops and they could not afford to stay. I think that the author did a really good job including history throughout this novel because he not only included the Dust Bowl, but also the Great Depression. During the time period this story is set in, the United States was in bad shape. People were starving and could barely afford the little things in life. I think that the bad shape of the United States economy and the Dust Bowl pushed some families out of their homes. I think that it is so sad that these families were forced to leave their homes and everything they had behind so suddenly. I think that out of five stars, I would give this book three because of how much history was incorporated in the story. I think that it is really cool that the author was able to show us how much some people went through during the time period that this book is set in.


Bibliography

Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment