Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grapes of Wrath- Techniques

I think that the author of Grapes of Wrath uses many techniques to make this book more effective, but I think one technique stood out to me, and that is suspense. Throughout this book the Joad family goes through many hardships, from being forced out of their home to struggling to find a job, and through it all I was left wondering "what's next?" It was very suspenseful when they were on their journey and I did not know if they were going to make it all the way to California or if they were going to give up. They had many problems on the way there, but they stayed strong and never gave up. I was wondering when the next bad thing was going to happen to them, or who else is going to leave or die, and that is one of the main points of suspense for me during this book. I think that the author uses suspense to keep the readers engaged in the book, because without the suspense this book would not have been very good. I think that suspense can add so much to a book because it will keep you interested, rather than make you want to fall asleep like a lot of books do. I think that another technique the author uses in this book is symbolism. I think the author uses symbolism to try and enhance the book and to try and make it better. I think that techniques, if you use them right, can make a book ten times better than it was before. The author of this book used suspense and symbolism to make this book better, and he did a great job. I think that without techniques like suspense, mystery, and all the others no books would be enjoyable because they would be so boring. I think that the author lets you get to know the characters before they add the suspense, so that when they do you care about what happens to the characters and you pay more attention to the book.


Bibliography

Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print


No comments:

Post a Comment