Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grapes of Wrath- Message

I think that there are many reasons why we still read Grapes of Wrath today, but I think the biggest reason is because of its historical importance. This book took place in the late nineteen thirties, during the Great Depression and it is when the Dust Bowl forced many farmers off their farms. I think that we are forced to read this in high school because it has a great deal of history in it, and because it shows us how hard life was at times for the people who lived before us. I think that what is so timeless about the message of this book is that the characters in this book are people, just like me. Sometimes when I read books I have a hard time grasping the idea that sometimes books can represent real people, and in this case the Joad family could represent any family that was forced off their farm. Everybody faces new challenges on a day to day basis, but usually in these modern times it is not a matter of life or death. For example, I am challenged to get all of these blogs done before school starts, but I also know that this is not a matter of life and death like it is in this novel. I think that is one of the reasons why I liked this book, was because I was able to think it over about how some of the events in this book actually happened in real life and that the decision the Joad family made to travel to California was something that real people actually had to do! In this book the author shows us a great deal of hardships, and we can all learn a little bit about history by reading this book. I think the author did a really nice job with including all of these historical events in this book because it made everything that happened seem so much more realistic.


Bibliography

Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print


No comments:

Post a Comment