Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Crucible Act 3- Reflection Blog

I think that so far in The Crucible, the author has revealed a lot of human nature through the characters. I know that for me, if I am being accused of something I will become super defensive and I even may try to shift the blame onto another person. I think that this is an example of human nature because no one wants to be blamed for something that is wrong or causes trouble to others, so if this happens people become defensive and try to shift the blame to someone else. This is exactly what is happening right now in The Crucible, all of the women are being accused of witchcraft and because of it their husbands are becoming extremely defensive against each other. The men are being very hostile with each other and are accusing each other, all in hopes of clearing their names and setting their family free (Miller). Also, I think that for some people it is in their nature to be mean and evil, which I think is displayed in this book by Abigail. I think that Abigail is just evil in nature because she always seems to be involved in the dramatic incidents that take place in this book. People do not like being blamed or accused, especially when what they are being accused of could potentially get them hung. I know that if someone was accusing me of something I did not do, I would probably react in a way similar to the way all of the men acted in this book. I also think that being hung is a really extreme punishment, especially when they have almost no proof except the he said she said that is going around the town. I think that Arthur Miller knows a lot about human nature because of how much of it he has in cooperated it into this play. He not only shows us a great deal about human nature, but he also shows a quite a few different types of personalities and how they can interact and get along with each other. Another example of human nature displayed in this book is something that I think is less common in today's society. It was in people's nature back when this book was written to be very religious, and therefore they were also very strict about God and the Devil. In this book we see many conflicts that deal with people being accused of seeing the Devil and we also see how this kind of problem was addressed. I think that this book is a very good book to read because it is very realistic about how people would react in a certain situation. For example, in this book when people are being accused of witchcraft, they react in a very predictable way and try to shift the blame to someone else (Miller). I think that some books try to hard to capture human nature, and therefore it can sometimes be unrealistic. In The Crucible, we are shown a large amount of human nature as well as shown the many different types of personalities and how they act together.

Bibliography

Miller, Aurthur. The Crucible. New York: Penguin Group, 1976. Print

1 comment: