Thursday, September 8, 2011

Journal #5- 21 Century Punishment

I think that parents in the 21 century have a harder time punishing their children than the previous generations. I think that with the amount of technology us children are surrounded by only makes punishing us even harder because there are so many things that we can do to keep us entertained. For example, if I got in trouble and my parents decided to take away my cell phone, I would not be that upset because I also have an ipod, a laptop, or television that I could use instead. I think that if parents are going to try and punish us by taking away our electronics, they are going to have to take them all to be effective. I think that if kids were limited the time they spent on electronics that many of them would do a lot better in school and also in everything they do. If parents just take away one of these elements, I can honestly say that I would not even care. I think that at certain times it would be appropriate to take away technology from a kid, but I also think that some parents go straight to cell phones every time. For example, if a kid is getting bad grades in school I think it is appropriate to take away cell phones and video games, but I do not think they should take stuff away for forgetting to do the dishes. For me, when I get into trouble my parents never take away my phone or anything like that. Every time I get in trouble I am grounded and not allowed to go hang out with my friends, not getting my cell phone taken away. I do not think that there is any way for parents to remove all technology from a kids life, so why even try? You can take away their cell phone, but they will still have an ipod. If parents are going to remove technology from our lives, they are going to have to get rid of facebook, youtube, cell phones, ipods, and television.

No comments:

Post a Comment